Sunday, March 8, 2015

1,000 generations


Sweet Emma Grace,

          You won't remember me coming to your "Sip and See" today but I will. It moved me to tears. Reese (my daughter) and I drove in this morning. I wanted to make it to our "home" church. When I walked in, I just smiled.

So many memories.

The familiarity.

Welcoming arms.

Home.

I couldn't even get out of the first hallway without "family" hugs. The big hugs. The ones that are given because they mean it. And then I walked to the foyer and you, your mommy, and daddy were there.
"You can't miss a miracle." That is what I said to your mom. I meant it. There are times in life when we get to be eye witnesses to His faithfulness. Today was one of those days. And you, sweet one, were the miracle.

I sat in the back. Really because I wanted a view of the entire sanctuary and well, with Reese you just never know... We sang. We worshipped. We listened. I watched you being held by those who love you, oh so much.

And as I was there I was able to reflect on His faithfulness and the beauty of faithful people.

You won't have to look hard to see faithful people...

You don't know this yet but your grandfather, Max, had a brain surgery. I can't remember exactly why and can't remember the date but what I do remember is your grandfather was back on the church's lawnmower mowing the grass after 2 weeks.

Your grandmother, Tina, I remember her praying for a whole bunch of self centered teenagers, loving us, feeding us, and mentoring us. I'm sure you've already figured out she gives the best hugs.

Two matriarchs of the church - Sister Odum and Miss Christine. Sitting in "their" spots. Yes, you'll see faithfulness there. Both singing, "It is Well" because they have a lifetime of believing it. And I couldn't help but hope that one day, I'll be the 88 year old attending "baby showers."

You'll hear it from the pulpit. Through a pastor who isn't afraid to preach about hard things like Temptation.

The worship leader and his wife who's heart I've seen first hand. Who lead sopranos, altos, tenors, and basses - their individual voices that even after all these years, I can still pick out.

You may even find it in unlikely places, when it wasn't what you were expecting. I barely got to speak to Tara but yes, she is faithful too. She gives back to teenagers through her time with drama practice.

You'll find it in the encouraging words of faith as Tammy spoke to Crystal about "when" they all throw her baby shower. Big plans for that one. And trust me, you will be there to celebrate another miracle.

This will not come as a surprise but the place you'll know the best to see His faithfulness is your mom. She was bragging, as I was holding you, about what a wonderful little sleeper you are.  And I couldn't help but think about how many sleepless nights she had prior to the miracle of you - praying, begging, believing God for you.

And now you are here. At "OUR HOME" church. I couldn't miss the miracle. You'll find in Hebrews 10:23 a purple highlighted spot with my name. Yes, He who promised IS faithful. If you ever doubt, look around because you can't miss Him in the beauty of His faithful people. Welcome Home, dear child.

Welcome Home.





No comments:

Post a Comment